Experience Chile travel . . . a year round travel destination with endless possibilities for creating unforgettable vacation memories.
Santiago, Chile is listed #1 in a recent New York Times article on 41 Places to Go in 2011. The NYT gave several reasons for choosing Santiago, Chile as a top travel destination in 2011:
This year, it has even been chosen as the first foreign city to host a rather unbuttoned event: Lollapalooza. The 20-year-old American music festival picked Santiago for its first overseas outing because of its open space and the variety of cultural offerings, and because locals have a passion for contemporary music, said Lollapalooza’s founder, the musician Perry Farrell. The festival takes place in April in O’Higgins Park. . . . ”
Read the NY Times travel article about Santiago, Chile here.
Chile had been our family’s home for 14 years. Our youngest daughter was born in Valdivia, and until recently we made our home in Rancagua, a city one hour south of Santiago.
We have traveled throughout Chile, from Arica in the north to Punta Arenas in the south. This country boasts some of the most spectacular wilderness scenery in the world. We never cease to be amazed at such diversity of: deserts, glaciers, lakes, ocean, rivers, volcanoes, beaches, mountains, and forests. Along with the natural beauty are its people, with their colorful customs, traditions, foods, and now famous Chilean wines.
Great Chile Travel
If you enjoy nature, you will enjoy Chile travel!!
There is so much to see and do in Chile. Turn your passion for adventure travel or for scenic wonders into an unforgettable vacation memory.
Chile travel choices are from north to south.
Northern Chile . . .
- The Atacama Desert
- Key Cities – Arica, Iquique, Antofagasta, Calama, San Pedro de Atacama, Copiapó, La Serena, Coquimbo, Ovalle
- Ecotourism – Birding, Nature, Wildflowers, Cactus
- Adventure Tourism – Trekking, Hiking, Horseback Riding, Paragliding, Diving, Surfing, Kitesurfing, Windsurfing, Climbing, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering
- Archeological Tourism – Petroglyphs, Geoglyphs, Chinchorro mummies, Rock Paintings
- Altiplano Tourism – Lake Chungará, Parque Nacional Lauca, El Tatio Geyser
- Hot Springs
- Observatories – Mamalluca, Cerro Paranal, Las Campanas, Cerro Tololo, La Silla
Central Chile . . .
See above where the New York Times listed Santiago 1st in its 41 Places to Go in 2011. Central Chile travel includes:
- Santiago . . .Chile’s cosmopolitan capital
- Vineyards, Wineries, Wine Tours
- Central coastal cities – Valparaíso, Viña del Mar, Reñaca, ConCon
- Additional popular coastal towns and beaches – Los Molles, Papudo, Zapallar, Cachagua, Maitencillo, Horcón, Quintero, Ritoque, Quintay, Algarrobo, El Quisco, Isla Negra, El Tabo, Las Cruces, Cartagena, Pichilemu (Chile’s surfing capital), Constitución, Punta Pellines, Curanipe, Cobquecura
- Skiing – Portillo, La Parva, Valle Nevado, El Colorado-Farellones, Chapa Verde, Termas de Chillán, Antuco
- Hot Springs
- Key Cities/Towns/Villages – San Felipe, Los Andes, Santiago, Viña del Mar, Valparaíso, San Antonio, Rancagua, San Fernando, Santa Cruz, Pichilemu, Curicó, Talca, Linares, Constitución, Chillan, Concepción, Lota, Los Ángeles
- Adventure Tourism – Trekking, Climbing, Horseback Riding, Paragliding, Diving, Surfing, Windsurfing, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Canoeing, Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting, Ice Climbing
- Rivers – Aconcagua, Mapocho, Maipo, Volcán, Yeso, Colorado, Cachapoal, Los Cipreses, Tinguiririca, Teno, Mataquito, Lontué, Claro, Maule, Ancoa, Achibueno, Ñuble
The Juan Fernández Archipelago – Isla Robinson Crusoe
Easter Island – (Isla de Pascua, Rapa Nui)
- Mysterious moai statues
- Hanga Roa – the island’s only town
- Rapa Nui National Park
- Island Tours, Camping, Diving, Mountain Biking, Horseback Riding, Jeep and Motorcycle Rentals
Southern Chile . . .
Southern Chile travel includes:
- Lakes Region
- Hot Springs
- Key Cities/Towns/Villages – Angol, Temuco, Freire, Villarrica, Pucon, Lican Ray, Coñaripe, Liquiñe, Panguipulli, Valdivia, Niebla, Corral, Futrono, Isla Huapi, Llifén, Lago Ranco, Osorno, Frutillar, Puerto Octay, Puerto Montt, Ancud, Castro, Dalcahue, Quellon
- Skiing –
- Adventure Tourism – Trekking, Whitewater Rafting, Kayaking, Hiking Volcanoes, Mountain Biking, Horseback Riding, Canopy, Fly-Fishing, Camping
- Chiloé Islands
- Cultural Tourism
Patagonia . . .
- Torres del Paine
- La Laguna San Rafael
Chile is a great travel destination for whatever need you may have . . .
- a business trip
- adventure tourism
- group travel
- holiday travel
- Spanish language study & cultural immersion
- a family vacation to Santiago Chile
- a romantic getaway
- or an escape for total relaxation and rest
Chile travel has something for you (of all ages and needs).
Our Chile Travel blog keeps our visitors informed about the best in Chile travel.
|Flights to Santiago Chile, Airline Information
How and where to find the best deals on flights to Santiago Chile, Airline Information
|Santiago International Airport
How to avoid delays and hassles at the Santiago International Airport
Ski Chile – Discover World Class Skiing & Ski Resorts at Portillo, Termas de Chillan
|Adventure Handbook Central Chile
Excellent trekking in Chile and hiking Chile opportunities are found throughout the Central Valley. The Adventure Handbook Central Chile is a must.
|Best Chile Travel Guides
Discover the beautiful country of Chile with the best Chile travel guides
|Chilean Adventures Full Service Adventure Travel
Chilean Adventures is a full service adventure travel and whitewater outfitter, and we are only 3 hours south from Santiago.
|Life in Chile
Great Chile Travel is our family's small business web site. Our children have written about life in Chile and what they like it.